|Welcome to the Des Moines County Iowa GIS Mapping Application|
We have updated our system to a faster, easier to use interface for public access to property information on both computer and mobile devices.
- A new measurement tool has been created that supports bearing and DMS.
- The mailing list generator has been reformatted for printing labels.
- Basemap Gallery is available with 2010 or 2012 Aerial Imagery.
- New Layers have been added.
- A new Pictometry Service is available. Click the Pictometry button on the Property Information page of a selected parcel or by using the Pictometry Tool under the "Tools" section.
First time here? Please visit the help section to learn more about how to utilize this website. If you experience any issues regarding the data or the website, or have a suggestion please contact us by phone or email.
|Help Section||Contact us|
|School Districts||Voting Precincts|
The pre-designed maps can only be viewed one at a time and will set the extent to Des Moines County's extent.
|Des Moines County:|
|The parcels layer is visible by default, and is rendered only at larger scales. This layer is not required to be visible for the query or search tool to operate.|
|  Parcel Lot Numbers|
|  E911 Address Points|
|Displays the E911 address point of each home in Des Moines County.|
|  Historic Lot Lines|
|The historic lot lines show previous parcel boundaries. They are to be used as a reference and do not show information regarding previous owners.|
|  Parcel Dimensions|
|  Township/Sections/Quarter Sections|
|  County Two Mile Zone|
|  Flood Zones|
|  Burlington Zoning|
|  West Burlington Zoning|
|  Corporate Limits|
|  Corporate Limits: 2 Mile Buffer|
|  Flood Index|
|  GPS Monuments|
|  Section Corners|
|  Historic Roads|
|Identify Features||Deactivate Identify|
Select a Basemap below to load it into the map
This tool allows the user to view an oblique aerial photo of a specific location using Des Moines County's Online Pictometry Viewer.
|Select By Location Tools|
|Select by Rectangle||Buffer Parcel|
|Click and drag to select
|Buffer distance (in Feet):
Deactivate Clear all Graphics
|This tool allows point, lines, and polygons to draw on the map|
This site was created by the Des Moines County GIS Commission to allow public viewing of parcel information in a geographical format. The data cannot be edited or altered through this site.
|Map navigation using mouse:|
- Drag to pan
- SHIFT + Click to recenter
- SHIFT + Drag to zoom in
- SHIFT + CTRL + Drag to zoom out
- Mouse Scroll Forward to zoom in
- Mouse Scroll Backward to zoom out
- Double Click to Center and Zoom in
|Obtaining Parcel Information:|
There are two ways to obtain information about any parcel:
- using the Search Tool
- clicking a parcel
The data shown after a parcel is selected is limited and to obtain more information requires visiting the Assessor Website or the Iowa Treasurer Website for more detailed information. Direct links are provided for each selected parcel which open in a new window once clicked.
The Email button displays the direct URL to this site to view the selected parcel. Copy the created URL to share with others or by clicking Launch in Email Client will launch your default email client and populate the subject and body of the message. The Print button will launch a new window with an easy to print format for landscape or portrait layout of the selected parcel. Currently we do not have a method of printing user created graphics.
At the top of this section there are four tabs: Search/Property Info, Layers, and Tools. The containers below explain how to use each tab in the right pane, simply click to expand.
This tab contains the search tool, the attribute results, mailing list, and welcome page. The last three items can only be shown one at a time.
The search tool allows the user to query the dataset to retrieve results. The Search tool allows the following parameters:
- Parcel Number
- Street Address
- Owner Name
An autocomplete tool will show matching criteria based on the first two letters of the owner name or address. For example, if searching for "Smith," typing "sm" in the search tool will display the first ten results that match those letters. Keep typing to narrow down results.
If the query returns one result, that parcel will be selected. If multiple results are found, a grid will launch at the bottom of the screen. Selecting an item in the grid will zoom to that selected parcel and display the results page.
This is the default page that will display when the website loads it is a simple greeting page. Once the user selects a parcel or a parcel was specified in the URL then it will be removed and the Results page will take its place.
The results page displays the attributes of the selected parcel. Only one parcel can be shown in the results page at a time. The results page contains a photo of the property (if applicable) which can be magnified by clicking on it. The information shown consists of property information, asssessed values, and legal information.
There are four buttons at the bottom of the results page: Assessor Info, Treasurer info, Email Parcel, Print Parcel.
- The Assessor Info button will send the user to the Assessor Website that will show more information about the selected parcel.
- The Treasurer Info button will send the user to the Iowa treasurer Site where more information regarding the taxes of the selected parcel
- The Email button opens a dialog box that displays the parcels link that can be shared. Once clicked, the map will open and select that parcel. Also available is a button that can populate your default email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, etc)
- The Print button will open a new window that displays the print template that can be printed through the browser
This tool allows the user to toggle between different basemaps. Currently available is the 2010 and 2012 aerial basemaps.
This container allows the user to toggle the visibility of different layers. To activate a layer, click the checkbox which will open the legend/description below and will render on the map. The items under the Identifiable Features: contain attributes that can be displayed in a popup window. To activate, select a layer by clicking its checkbox, then click the Identify Features button to activate. Then click on a visible feature to display its attributes. Some layers contain images or documents that can be viewed by clicking on the button specified in the pop up window.
This container consists of a series of maps that have been created and uploaded. Only one of these maps can be visible at a time and are not visible past a specific scale.
This tool launches the Online Pictometry Viewer which can be used to view oblique aerials anywhere in Des Moines County. To use this tool, click the button, then click on the map where you want to view. A new window will open that will launch the Pictometry viewer that will center at the clicked location.
|Select by Location Tools:|
There are two two tools available in this section, the select by rectangle tool and the buffer parcel tool. Both tools will generate a mailing list for all the selected parcels that can be visible by clicking on the "Search/Property Info" Tab. The maximum number of results that can be returned is 1000 parcels. The mailing address will return only valid addresses.
- Select By Rectangle - The first tool simply selects parcels by drawing a rectangle over the parcels. To do this, simply click the 'Select' button then click and hold on the map. Then simply drag over the area you want to select, then release. Once released the tool will generate the mailing list and show how many parcels were selected and how many have valid mailing addresses. To view the mailing list, click on the "Search/Property Info" tab.
- Buffer Parcel - This tool reguires a parcel be selected. Next insert the distance to be buffered (distance is calcuated in feet with 1000 feet being the maximum search distance). The map will zoom to the extent of the buffer and select all parcels that fall within buffer. The mailing list will then be generated under the "Search/Property Info" tab.
This tool allows the user to draw on the map using points, lines, and polygons. Future updates will allow the user to save and print user-defined graphics. Once done drawing, click "Deactivate" to return to basic map navigation and identifying parcels. Click "Clear all Graphics" to remove all graphics on the map. If a graphic was drawn accidentally and the user does not want to remove all graphics, click the "undo" button to remove the last graphic. Likewise click the "redo" button to add a previously removed graphic.
This tool allows measurement of an area or by length. The coordinates of a point can also be calculated.
- Length - Click the icon then click once on the map at the start of the line, move to the next vertex, click and repeat. Double click to complete the measurement
- Area - Click the icon then on the map for the first corner, then move the next area, click and repeat. Double click to complete the measurement to show the perimeter and area of the polygon.
- Location - Click the icon and then select a point on the map to display the latitude and longitude below the measurement tool.